Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Barefoot Wine, Football and Turkey Sandwiches

Okay, so I'm in Kroger looking for a cheap bottle of wine to go with my after thanksgiving turkey sandwich, and I stumbled across a display offering Barefoot wines for 5.99 a bottle. The display offered a cabernet, a merlot, a chardonay, and a riesling. I like clean looking, creative labels and I'd seen Barefoot wine before. It's always priced right (cheap). But I've always placed it in my "adult kool aide" category. The bottle, while nice to look at, reminds me of Boones Farm Apple wine, that 2. 50 per bottle wine that comes in many colors and flavors and goes down like soda pop.

The difference being that Barefoot is not carbonated like Boones Farm. And don't knock Boones Farm, it got me through college. I was good for days on a slice of Poppa Dino's pepperoni pizza and Boones Farm Strawberry wine. Way back then, BFW cost 1.99 per bottle.

I purchased the riesling, took it home to chill. White wines are best when cold. I'm sure you've heard that reds are best at room temperature. Well, back in the old country, room temperature was probably right around 54-degrees, pretty chilly for what we consider room temp. So if you're feeling adventurous, chill your red one time and see if you like it...

But back to leftovers and Barefoot.

I've changed my next day turkey sandwich. It used to be miracle whip on white bread with white turkey, cut diagonally.

Now that I'm a grown up, it's miracle whip on dark german rye bread with dark turkey meat. I cut across or diagonally, doesn't matter. When I was a kid, I thought the diagonal cut meant you were a grown up.

I guess I should put some lettuce or veggies on it, but then that would be breaking tradition. You can add whatever you like to the basic turkey sandwich.

Now for the drink...just as I suspected....soda with no carbonation. The taste was clean, nothing complex...hints of fruit....sweet...okay for a day after thanksgiving afternoon of watching football.

I'm going to go back and try the reds, the price is more than right, and I'm always adventurous.


Salud!

No comments: