Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

I'm sticking with two wines for this holiday, Pinot Noir as my red and German Spatlese as my white. Mom's cooking the main meal, so it will be the traditional turkey, honey baked ham, candied sweet potatoes, greens, green beans, baked beans, dressing and corn bread.

We'll probably have some apple pie, and or sweet potato pie courtesy of our next door neighbor. The wines won't be served at dinner because my parents don't drink wine. That's why I'm being selfish with my choices. I'm saving the wines for later in the evening for when I visit my cousin.

My cousin's table will also be traditional, but the libation, well the libation is more varied, from wines to scotch or bourbon, with maybe some vodka cran thrown into the mix. The second meal is also a pot luck so, my chosen wines have to be versatile, since I do plan to share.

I talked about pinot noir in my last post, so I will just name a couple of good ones that I've had recently....Try the 2007 Fess Parker, of Santa Clara or the 2006 Mia's Playground from the Russian River Valley. Both of these wines come in right around 20-bucks a bottle. I originally chose these wines because of their names. Fess Parker is an actor who used to play Davey Crockett on television and I just like the sound of Mia's Playground..

The German spatlese is a bit pricey, but a very good complement to roast turkey...I like the mosel-saar-ruwer, Germany area for this type of wine. Germans color code their wines in either brown or green glassed bottles. I prefer the brown bottle wines. Expect to plunk down 30-40 bucks per bottle. If you like, go for the kabinett which is also made from riesling grapes and costs about 20-bucks a bottle or less.

If you need a turkey recipe check out my earlier posts. There is a really nice grilled bird that you might want to try.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Salud!

No comments: