Monday, October 13, 2008

Bordeaux and Bird

The buzz in the wine world these days is the 2005 Bordeaux. Bordeaux is the rolls royce of wines, very expensive, very collectible, made in France. They can be laid down or cellared for up to 20 years. I've got one in house that was bottled in 1953. The drinking window on this Chateau La Fleur Pomerol is from the year 2000 to 2010. I plan to pop the cork real soon.

This 2005 is being touted as the best in the last 50 years. I tasted it recently. It's okay. I have to be honest, I don't like young red wines, too much bite. I don't drink beaujolais at all. I prefer smoothness in my grape. The older the better, if it's red. This was okay, it will definitely be better in a few years. I tasted cherries, mainly. It was good. So I will recommend this.

I paired it with some grilled turkey. I have an old friend who turned me on to turkey on the grill and I have to admit, that I'm hooked. It's really the only way to fix and eat turkey. So I'm giving you my recipe. It's simple, cause I don't like hard to prepare recipes. I wish I lived in an area of the country where I could grill everyday. I do grill in the wintertime on those rare warm winter days, when it great to get outside...Try this...and...grill some veggies...corn, tomatoes, mushrooms...your choice...



Classic Grilled Turkey



1
oven-ready turkey (select size to fit your grill)
1
tablespoon oil


Salt and pepper


Herbs, rub, or seasoning to taste


Rinse turkey and pat dry. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to tucked position. Brush turkey with oil. Season to taste, inside and out.

Place turkey, breast side up, in a roast holder set inside a large heavy-gauge foil pan. Place in center of cooking grate. Cook 11 to 13 minutes per pound to an internal temperature of 180º F in the thigh and 170ºF in the breast. Remove turkey from grill and let stand 15 minutes before carving.

Makes 4oz skinless portion servings.

Note: To collect drippings for making gravy, pour a little water into foil pan. Replenish water as needed to keep drippings from burning. Remove pan from under turkey about 30 minutes before bird should be done and make gravy. (Continue cooking turkey in the center of the cooking grate)

*thank you Weber grill company

© 2008 Jo Anne Moore, JAM Publications


No comments: